Friday 6 February 2015

The Education System.

The following YouTube video inspired me to write this post. Watch the video first, then read what I have to say.

Okay, so I'm assuming you've watched the video now. My blog isn't really about the same stuff, but the video is still relevant. 

School sucks. For the first few years of secondary school, its not too bad. Then you start your GCSEs and it's suddenly like going to hell and back. Every. Day. 

My school has been putting so much more pressure on us recently, and I don't quite understand why. They cannot force people to work harder, and get their head down and revise. Yet, they seem to give us loads of extra work anyway. If people don't want to work, they won't. So the people who need less work to do, and less stress, get a bucket load more, because some assholes can't sit down, shut up and do work. 

A lot of teachers seem to think that grades are all that matter. We had a mock exam week (that lasted around three weeks) in December, and we had a 'results day'. A huge deal was made about something that doesn't even matter. And those mock exams made an anxiety problem way worse for my best friend. That is so wrong. (And I hope she's okay <3) 

I heard the other day that year 8s (12 or 13 year olds) are choosing their GCSE subjects soon. I don't get it. Adults expect teenagers to have no reason to be stressed/anxious/depressed/mentally unstable, and they're so wrong. We're expected to be able to juggle school, school work, other work, social lives, friendships, relationships, regular exercise and enough sleep. 
I was told a few months ago, that I was expected to shut myself away every night after school, after having done my homework, and sit in silence with no phones/laptops etc, and revise. 
I don't go out with my friends very often, I go to a concert maybe once a month. I play guitar and bass, but barely have time to practice. I don't really have a life, because it feels like school is my life.. That didn't make sense, but you get where I'm coming from. 

And, school seems to drag on forever. Seriously. This week feels like it's been three months. Everyday is the same, there is no change of routine. It's wake up, get dressed, eat, get ready, do work/go out, come home, play guitar, shower, sleep. Even on weekends. It sucks. I want my life back. 

This pretty accurately sums up school:
"I'm going insane, but that's okay because my grades are more important than my mental health anyway."

Okay, bye!
- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment