Thursday 27 October 2016

What's Really Up With the Music Industry...

Yesterday, I volunteered at my local, council-run music venue, which attracts some pretty big bands, including Wheatus, and Puddle of Mudd... Old bands, but good bands. 


Anyway, the event that I was working was a Bars & Melody gig. The band, for those of you that don't know, were on Britain's Got Talent, and they made quite a splash. Personally, I've not listened to them, but the gig yesterday really hammered something home for me - the music industry really exploits people. 

I'll say that again for those of you who didn't hear. 

The music industry really exploits people.

I'm not just talking the general public here, but bands and artists as well. The boys in Bars & Melody are around sixteen years old, and they're out there in the world, playing shows to screaming fans. They're signed to Syco Music, which is basically run by Sony Music. They're making money for a big, big label, and they're sixteen. Don't they deserve to just do this for fun?!

What's more is that their fans are so young. I saw some really young people there last night, and I just cannot comprehend it. These young people got their parents to fork out so much money for tickets, and most of them purchased a meet and greet ticket, which cost around £65 each. That's a lot of money for a poster, lanyard, and photo, right?! This crazy, crazy fan culture doesn't even stop to think that they're paying to meet another human.They're being exploited, and this isn't right. 

I completely understand that this is an industry, and money needs to be made because hey, money makes the world go 'round, right?! But there are much better ways of generating income than getting young, impressionable children to part with their pocket money. I used to be a part of this excitable, impressionable audience; I went to so many gigs, always spent around £20 to £30 on t-shirts, wristbands, and CDs... I realise now that this is a waste. You don't need to buy clothes to support an artist. You only need to buy something if you really, genuinely want it. Bands understand that we don't all have the cash to just throw away.
I point-black refuse to buy meet and greet tickets. I saw a blog post by Rou Reynolds of Enter Shikari, where he basically explained exactly why it's so wrong of people to charge for meet and greets. You can read more on that by clicking here, and read someone else's opinion on the subject here

The point is, we let ourselves be exploited, by queuing outside in the freezing cold for ten hours, or buying that new album the day it's out in stores. 

And bands and artists? Well, some need to be exploited, because otherwise, they'll never get anywhere... Others, well they take a stand. And we can stand with them. Be independent, think for yourself. Just stop and think about what you're spending your hard-earned cash on, and if it's really, 100% worth it.Chances are, that VIP photo isn't, and that band member isn't going to fall in love with you. Sorry. 

- Dottie x

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are so right about this! The music industry is seriously exploitative. Because that's just what it is - an industry, a money-making machine. I used to want to get famous and be a big-name musician but now I see that the best part of music is just playing for the love of it. Those poor kids in Bars & Melody! ): They are going to be so miserable in a few years; just think of Justin Bieber and countless others, and how fame drove them sort of crazy. I'm writing a novel but wow, I just wanted to say that I resonate with this and that it's so true. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was just browsing through some old Got Talent clips and saw Bars and Melody, and I thought this same thing. It's such a pity.. Good on you for speaking up about it, I appreciate reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete