Wednesday 19 August 2015

How to Fall Asleep...

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I go back to school after a holiday, it takes me forever to fall asleep, and I never stay asleep. Recently, I've discovered a way that works (for me), and I can fall asleep, and stay asleep for around 8 hours, which is good!!

Step 1: Get ready for bed early. 

This works because you aren't rushing around, trying to wash and dry your hair ten minutes before you need to be asleep, and actually the process of getting ready for bed is really relaxing. I usually shower in the evenings, which is super nice, because I feel clean and relaxed before I sleep. 

Step 2: Have something to drink.
I'm not talking alcohol here, I'm talking a hot drink like tea or hot chocolate. Try not to drink anything with caffeine in, because it will keep you awake. 

Step 3: Chill out. 
I usually watch YouTube videos for a little while before I go to sleep, while I drink my hot chocolate, and I talk to friends or scroll through social media. I usually curl up in bed while I do this, because I get cold, but it makes it harder to get up again... 

Step 4: Bathroom!
We've all been there; you get comfy in bed and realise... you need to pee. Solve this problem by peeing before you sleep.. I usually also brush my teeth right before I sleep. 

Step 5: Read!
It has been suggested that using your phone, a laptop or tablet before you sleep makes it more difficult to sleep. This is because the light emitted by the screens, called "blue light" stimulates your brain, and keeps it from relaxing for longer. It is advised that you put down your phone 20 minutes before you sleep. 
So, I usually get back into bed and read a chapter of my book. I'm currently reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, so it takes ages to read a chapter... It definitely helps me to fall asleep though, because if I don't read, it takes me ages to fall asleep, and I end up getting annoyed at myself because I need to be asleep... Also, reading is good for making you intelligent, and it's really relaxing... 

Step 6: Listen to music. 
So, you've read a chapter of your book, you're nice and sleepy, and ready to turn the light out. My advice to you would be to put on a quiet album and listen as you fall asleep. Most iPods or iPhones have a 'sleep mode' option, on the timer, which stops playing music after a set amount of time. I use my iPod dock, cause it has a sleep mode that fades the music and dims the light of the clock. 
The album that I've been listening to recently is Jack Cookson's Revolt & Resolve, which can be found on Soundcloud here. I totally advise you to check it out, it's so relaxing and beautifully crafted. The album artwork is on the left... Yes, I got a physical copy. 
I find that falling asleep while listening to music helps you to fall asleep because you aren't thinking of trying to fall asleep, you're listening to the lyrics and the music... I just find that I fall asleep when I'm thinking of something else, so there's that... 

One final tip would be to try and fall asleep and wake up around the same time each night, because this helps to keep your sleep pattern constant, and helps you to stay asleep. I fall asleep around midnight and wake up between 9 and 10AM. Sometimes I'll wake up around 5AM, but I fall asleep pretty quickly. 

So there we are, how to fall asleep. 

I hope this helped in some way, I know going back to school sucks, and it's even worse when you're tired.
Until next time!
- Dottie. 

2 comments:

  1. Even though I've not gone back to school yet I struggle to fall asleep sometimes so I followed your steps and It worked!
    Thanks for the amazing tips Dottie!

    ReplyDelete