Monday 23 November 2015

Motivational Monday - Practice Makes Perfect

Wow, I've been thinking recently that wow, since starting to play guitar, I've come a long way! I mean, when I thick back to when I couldn't read guitar TAB, and couldn't play any chords at all... Like, wow. Now, today, I'm not amazing. But I'm getting there. I think I've finally found my style, and despite listening to as much punk and rock music as I do, I love to play acoustic melody type stuff. I've also had a bass guitar since January, and despite not really having the time, or the knowledge, to learn much, I can actually see improvement in myself. 

So, I guess the point I'm making here is that practice makes perfect. Like, when you first start anything, be it walking, or writing, or drawing, or driving, you basically suck. Lemme give you an example... 

I've had four driving lessons in my life. I somehow managed to understand what some people say is the trickiest part about driving, the foot controls, but I cannot bloody steer to save my life. (Okay, maybe I'm not quite that bad, but you get the idea..) And this bothers me. But, it's like everyone has been telling me... You can't be good at everything right away, and the more practice you do, the better you will get. True story. 

So here's the thing... A lot of people try to do something, like playing guitar, and they give up pretty quickly, because they're not Jimmi Hendrix or, I don't know, Paul Simon. And here's why you shouldn't give up: 

You shouldn't give up, because one day, you'll look back and realise that, holy crap, you are amazing. And then, when you think of how bad you were before, you'll feel even better that you didn't give up. By not throwing in the towel, you're saying to yourself that you can survive hardship, and struggle, and not being the best. Or perhaps you just want to be the best. I don't know, dude... 

Just reflection... Reflecting and seeing how much progress you've made in a week, or a month, or even a lifetime. Isn't that an amazing thing? To do something, over and over, and to suddenly one day be amazing. 

Jimmi Hendrix didn't get to be amazing by sitting around doing nothing. And you won't get to be who you want to be by sitting around and doing nothing. So go, chase your dreams, and don't give up!! 

Enjoy your week, guys!
- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment