Saturday 6 February 2016

"Table for One, Please"

This week has been interesting! I went to two gigs, and college every day I am timetabled to.. So basically I'm exhausted!!
This photo is so blurry, what?!
Yes, so on Wednesday, I headed to my favourite music venue, to help out with a gig. The band playing was Eliza and the Bear, who just happened to be a band I really like! (No one in the band is called Eliza, and no one is bear..) So I arrived at the venue at around 3pm, just as Eliza and the Bear were loading their stuff into the venue.. I got some funny looks hanging out in the reception area, hahah!!
Once I'd found out what the heck I was doing there, and been introduced to the sound engineer of the night, I basically just hung out in the venue while the bands finished loading in, and set up their stuff.. I couldn't really do much to help, as it was the first gig I'd really helped out at. Nonetheless, I felt that it was a great experience, just to see how a gig really works, and what happens. 

The three bands that played on Wednesday were fantastic, and afterwards, I helped by coiling cables (badly) and got chatting to the touring sound engineer, who is a really cool guy! 

Then, it turns out two of the bands were playing a show where I go to college, literally the night after I saw them.. And I sort of mentioned this to one of the bands.. And they sort of put me on the guest list.. And I sort of felt really cool.. 

Anyway, I went along, despite not being able to find anyone to go with. I wasn't really worried about going to the gig on my own, but I knew that I needed to have something to eat before I went to the gig.. So I headed to Prezzo, by myself.. And asked for a table for one.. I did feel kind of awkward, but luckily the restaurant was basically empty, so I just sat in the corner, eating pizza and texting my friends. 

As I was wandering over to the venue, I bumped into the guys in the band who had put me on the guest list, so we had a quick chat, and that was very nice. Then I got to the venue, and the crew members that I'd met the night before recognised me and were saying hi.I felt so freaking awesome!!
Then I saw the bands again, it was very fun to actually get to dance and sing along, instead of focusing on learning and observing the sound techies. Eliza and the Bear played a new song, that I kind of accidentally knew the words to, since they played it like three times during sound check on Wednesday.. Oopsies..
After the three bands (different first support band) had played their sets, I got to chat to a few members of each of the bands, and they were pretty sound guys (hah!). It turns out though, that during sound checks before audiences are present, band members are usually pissed off, and venues are stupidly cold. 

But yeah, that's the story of how I went to two gigs two days in a row.. I also had to get up at six am on Friday to go to college, though.. I regret nothing!! (However I did sleep for 11 hours last night!) 

So yeah, I'm now officially a guest list person.. I feel so awesome!! 
Bye for now, 
- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment