Monday 11 January 2016

Motivational Monday - Take Pride in What You Do.

Hello! It's been a few days, and I thought I would write a new motivational post, so here goes... 

We all do something in our lives, whether it's school, work, college, or volunteering.. But how many of us actually enjoy what we do, and look at something that we've done, and feel a sense of accomplishment? Hmm, well not me, that's for sure.. 
The thing about being human is, I think we've evolved to be negative, and to not want to own up to having done something great. When I was in school, I would always downplay my achievements; I got a fair few A*s on mock exams, and the like, and people would always ask "wow, how did you do that? How many hours did you spend revising for that?!" And my answers would always be something along the lines of "oh, not many, I didn't really bother, it just sort of happened..". And I know that actually pissed off a few people.. Because I did put effort into my work, and sure, I had natural ability, but I also worked for it, too.. 

"Stop downplaying your achievements just because you think they are small or insignificant."


So here's the thing...  Don't put yourself down, or downplay anything that you do. Because holy sh*t, you did it! Whether it's something small, like actually getting up early and getting breakfast, or something huge like completing a massive assignment, or anything in between... You did that. You spent time on it, you motivated yourself into doing something that seemed impossible for you... Be proud!! 

I can't remember what book I read this in, but the situation was that a girl was complimented by her guy friend, and she was like "no, I don't look nice" or whatever.. And he told her to just say thank you.. Because it's gracious and it means that someone appreciated you.. Don't downplay that. 

Now a lot of people might see pride as a bad thing, and yes, it can be, if you're overconfident, and you show off about it.. But there's nothing wrong with being low-key proud of something.. In fact, it's a good thing! I'm going to give another example here, because I don't know how else to explain it.. But where are my arty people?! How many times have you had an image in your head of something that you want to create, only to end up disappointed when the final thing doesn't turn out how you imagined?? Because it happens to me basically every. single. time. 

However, when you stop, and actually think about it.. You created something. From nothing. Isn't that amazing?! But you don't think about that, you can only see the imperfections... So you don't feel proud, you end up sad, or pissed off, and think you're not talented... 

And you are. Each and every single one of you. And even if you aren't, there is someone out there that is so, so proud of you, and you can't even comprehend that.. Why? What is it that makes you think that people don't care, or that you aren't worthy of self love? Because self love is just like any other kind of love.. It's unconditional, and you deserve it just as much as anyone else. 

So please, stop downplaying every little thing you do. Instead, smile, accept that it happened, and feel a sense of pride. Because you did it. Let me say it again.. You. Did. It! Whatever it was, you did it.. Even if you just picked out a nice outfit, or actually did your makeup.. You did it, why the heck shouldn't you feel proud?!

Okay guys,  I think that's about it.. I hope this was inspiring, or motivational in some way, because it is nice to know that I helped in some way.. 


And remember, be proud of yourself!

Bye.

- Dottie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment