Saturday 2 January 2016

Wow, Man, That's So 80s!!


As I said in my previous post, I am going to listen to more vinyl. And so that's what I did.. For like twenty minutes before I had to leave, and then when I got back, my dad was asleep, so I couldn't listen to my records, as the speakers are stupidly loud.. 

So I dug through all of the records on my shelf, to find one to listen to. I will admit that most of them have never been listened to by me, so it's always difficult to choose something to listen to. Today, I picked New Order's album Substance, and it's so obvious it's an 80s record!! That's not a bad thing at all, it's just obviously 80s. 
I chose New Order's album because I wrote a little about them for a college assignment, and I'd never actually listened to them, because it was effort, I'd much rather listen to stuff I know.. But they're actually really good, despite the typical 80s synth sounds! 

But I guess that's the thing - like all pop music sounds the same today, a lot of the popular 80s music sounded the same. Because it sells, it's what makes money.. It's how record companies get such huge profits. 

But the 80s were cool, man! Not that I was there.. The 80s saw the start of many great bands, and saw the best years of many others.. Nirvana and Green Day are two bands that started out in the 80s. Then there were the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Blur.. If you're really into the alternative scene, you will have heard of a fair few of the indie bands of the 80s. It's just a pretty cool thing.. 

I feel like in today's society, there are some people who see music as a throw-away thing, and they don't think about creating a timeless song, or an album that people can relate to a decade later. I will happily listen to Johnny Cash, a folk/country singer/songwriter from the 50s/60s. His music is beautiful, and I feel that he has a sound that will never age.. I don't really know how to explain it, but there is something about it, which I feel many youths wouldn't really get. 

I'm not quite sure what I was getting at with this post, but I wanted to write it anyway. Appreciate all music, because without it, the world would be a different place. Each style, each genre of music has risen from somewhere, and has done something to change a part of society, and the world that we live in.. Pretty cool, huh?

Bye!
- Dottie. 

2 comments:

  1. You're right, a lot of the popular music from the 80's has that cliche, synthy sound. That kind of music can be fun to listen to for sure, but I wonder if it's fun to write? Johnny Cash's music is worlds away from 80's pop! Such a contrast. I love that you're listening to more vinyl! It's such a cool throwback format, I dig it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd imagine that 80s music is fun to write!! I always find it pretty cool messing around with the synthesizers on Logic when I'm in college!!
      And yes, definitely! But I guess if you're really into music, then you're into all types of music?
      Awh, me too!! I absolutely adore record stores, they have such a chilled, peaceful vibe!

      Delete